Oil Filters are the single most important component that help keep your automobile engine run smoothly and efficiently. Clean Oil is a quintessential factor that ensure friction less engine performance and ensure long engine life.
All fuels are prone to contamination by dust & other small particles during transportation right from the refinery till it reaches your vehicle and a quality oil filter is responsible for keeping the oil stream clean.
The article below discuss in detail the important aspects of oil filters, its working and a detailed guide to choosing the best oil filters for your vehicle with expert reviews.
Table of Contents
- 1 5 Best Oil Filters Comparison Chart : A Quick Look-Up
- 2 5 Top-Rated Oil Filters - Tested & Reviewed
- 3 How To Choose A Right Oil Filter?
- 4 What is the purpose of oil filters?
- 5 Why is it required to change the oil filter?
- 6 Do the filter last forever?
- 7 How often is it needed to replace my filter?
- 8 Do road conditions have an effect on the life and performance of the oil filter?
5 Best Oil Filters Comparison Chart : A Quick Look-Up
5 Top-Rated Oil Filters - Tested & Reviewed
99.6% Multi-pass efficiency rating.
28.0 grams holding capacity.
Exceptional protection up to 615 pascals per square inch.
Silicone anti-drain back valve.
While you might be skeptical about this brand, let me assure you that regardless of their other products, their oil filters are one of the best out there. It is renowned as a professional auto oil filter and easily ranks my favorite among the oil filters I have used.
Firstly, the efficiency oil filter rating is really good in Mobil 1 auto filter. It is capable of sieving out 99.6% of the contaminants in the oil before it passes into the engine. This is particularly aided by the synthetic fiber-blend media incorporated in the filter. Synthetic media, in general, are a level above the cellulose ones in filtering out the dirt. They have far more consistent pores and are relatively more reliable when it comes to the smaller impurities.
Another advantage of this synthetic media is the extended holding capacity that this fuel filter offers. It can hold up to 28.0 grams of filtered contaminant. Just make sure that you change the oil filter when you go for your next oil refill.
It works just as well with any kind of motor oil. It is not necessary for you to stick to Mobil ones. That’s an advantage on the go when you don’t have a choice of motor oil.
Mobil 1 is the most appropriate oil filter for full synthetic oil with 615 PSI operating pressure. This is almost nine times the pressure than any other oil filter can withstand.
It even has an oil filters with anti drain back valve . This removes the probability of internal leakage. You will suffer from fewer dry starts this way.
Honestly, this is one of the few products where I can’t possibly see any flaws. It is great on all levels, and I have tried out quite a few of these.
- Less possibility of internal leakage.
- Fewer dry starts.
- Consistent pores capable of better sieving.
- Withstand higher pressure.
- Can be used with multiple oils.
- Higher content capacity.
- No such cons.
Metal end caps.
100% screen-back synthetic media.
Heavy gauge steel backplate.
This is once again the high flow oil filter brand that is famous in its capacity for producing oil filters. You can even check out their motor oil if you want. This particular range works similarly to the Mobil oil filters. As with the Mobil ones, there are minimum complaints regarding this one as well.
I have been through a couple of issues with road debris punctures. This oil filter solved that for me. Its thicker shell is built to provide an extra level of protection that won’t be accessed by any random dirt particles. Another advantage this provides is the higher resistance to internal pressure.
The caps are made of metal as well. This is built to ensure a positive seal for the element assembly.
Moving on, this has a pure synthetic media. This basically means near-perfect filtration of all impurities. However, it does not deter the oil flow at all. It can easily hit a 99% efficiency rate. This is almost as good as the Mobil auto filter efficiency. It halts impurities as minuscule as 25 microns, which means that there is a very low possibility of dirt seeping through.
If ever there is a case of flow restriction, there is a cop-out for that as well. The by-pass valve ensures the possibility of lower oil flow in those situations.
The steel backplate, on the other hand, enhances the burst strength further.
There is a silicone anti-drain valve here too. So you won’t have internal leakages and dry starts either. Silicone is actually better than nitrile rubber. It survives extreme temperature far better.
Functionally, it has little to no flaws. However, this is not always my first choice. You can get a product as good as this one, at a lower rate.
- No road debris puncture.
- 99% filtration efficiency.
- Enhanced burst strength.
- No internal leakage.
- Less dry starts.
- Unrestricted Oil flow.
- Can find similar features in a product at a more affordable price.
Exclusive FILTECH Media Technology.
Silicone anti-drain black valve.
High lubricity gasket design.
Double-locked rolled seam.
Bosch is really good oil filter to buy as it prevents premature wear and most of the possibility of engine failure. I can’t say much about their spark plugs, though. But anyway, this Bosch Premium FILTECH is the high performance oil filter that provides superior outcome.
The FILTECH technology in the media of the oil filter is the most prominent feature here. It serves as advanced engine security by filtering out the impurities. However, the media here is unique. It is not pure synthetic but a better version of it. A blend of natural and synthetic components ensures a better filtration and protects the engine. The oil filter is a bigger one as well. The area is at least 42% larger than any other product. A thicker media by around 30% can filter out the more persistent impurities as well.
It is further equipped with enforced steel-based plates. These serve to prevent warpage and more importantly leakage. It has an added perk as well. It, to some extent, prevents a poor fit of the oil filter itself.
The silicone anti-drain valve again is a superior component compared to rubber ones. It serves against leakage and provides a flow of clean oil when you start the engine. It again prevents dry starts as well.
The Double-locked rolled seam again provides a leak-free canister.
However, on the downside, it has a relatively lower contaminant holding capacity. Compared to the Mobil and Royal Purple oil Filters, this is a really disappointing feature.
- Thicker media and larger filter.
- Blended media made of natural and synthetic elements.
- Prevents dry starts.
- Better fit and low possibility of leaks and warps.
- Leak-free canister.
- No internal leaks.
- Low containment capacity compares to other oil filters. Containment Capacity serves for a long-lasting oil filter that keeps the oil cleaner for a longer period. So a low capacity would obviously cause some problems in that regard. I had to take it out pretty fast.
98% filtration efficiency.
Thermosetting Adhesive Seal.
If there is anything you can be sure of, it is ACDelco’s quality of automotive parts. It is the best engine oil filter for trucks, and so, I thought that I would give you all truck owners an option as well. So here it is, their Duraguard Filter.
While the filtering efficiency is exceptional, I would like to start with a unique feature of this filter among the others in this list: the media composition. It is not synthetic like the other three but a cellulose one. This gave me a bit of a pause when I initially looked it up, but then, I decided to give it a go. And I am glad that I did. The pores are tiny enough to block contaminants with a width that is a third of a human hair. Cellulose media are often looked down upon due to inconsistent pores and lower filtration, but this one was impressive.
And that brings us to the filtration efficiency. A 98% filtration rate is nothing to scoff at. Sure some others in this list have a higher rating, but still, this is pretty good. It has a rate of 25 to 30 microns to be exact, in its filtration capacity.
The thermosetting adhesive seal, on the other hand, is really useful here. It fixes the media in its place so that the filtration is not affected by any movement. This serves for a clean and consistent oil pumping into the engine.
The burst strength is five times what an average filter has. It can handle the oil at its operating temperature below 51 PSI. The major flaw is that Royal Purple is specifically diesel oil filter and that is kind of restrictive. Apart from that, it is a bit above my range as well. But if I have a diesel vehicle, I can definitely overlook that bit for the rest of the advantages.
- Efficient media.
- High filtration rate.
- Fixed media filter.
- ACDelco engine oil filter is five times burst strength.
- Regular, consistent supply of clean oil.
- Suitable for only diesel engines.
- Not really affordable.
5000 miles protection used with Conventional Oil
It is best synthetic oil filter with 95% Filtration capacity.
FRAM synthetic car oil filter is the final one in my list of best oil filters. It is loads more affordable. As good as this is, I would, however, suggest it for a more low mileage vehicle. And that brings us to the specs.
I will begin with the filtration efficiency as that is it’s the most prominent feature. It has a truly superior one too at a solid 95%. While compared to the other, it might seem low, but considering the range, it is very good.
However, that does come with a disadvantage. You might have to sacrifice on a long-lasting filter if you want the superior dirt filtering feature. It works well till 5000 miles, which is kind of low. So you might have to change your filter and your oil a bit more frequently.
This can be used with conventional oil or gasoline. The filter is capable enough to handle regular oil pressure.
For a disadvantage, I might go with the low life-span. So if you can invest time for frequent changes, this is really good at a very affordable rate.
- Good filtration capacity.
- Can handle the pressure of regular oil.
- These are the best synthetic oil filters which are affordable.
- Balanced dirt containment and sieving.
- Low life-span and frequent changes.
How To Choose A Right Oil Filter?
So you bought a new oil filter, and it does not fit your car model. That is very disappointing, not to mention a waste of time and money. Like everything else, this too needs to be tailored to your needs. Fortunately, you just need to look into a couple of stuff to ensure that you make the right purchase.
- First of all, you should check the model number of your car and battery & the main is the type of filter it requires. There is no doubt that car batteries are expensive and therefore we would like to get the best value for money out of it. However, we need to find out ways and means by which we are able to get the best car battery for the money. Car battery checkers are used to determine the condition of the battery. This would require researching, gathering information and then moving forward. With that out of the way, we come to the differences in the media. If you are wondering whether your car needs a different sort for synthetic and something else for mineral oil, then no, it doesn’t. Filters are classified by whether they possess cellulose or synthetic media.
- Quality is highly important. I will give you a tip that I go by while looking for oil filters. While it is not often the case that a higher price means a better product, it is so, in the case of oil filters. I find this useful because best automotive oil filter rarely come with guides regarding their application.
- You may come across micro-glass or fiberglass media, which is nothing but synthetic media. Cellulose media are more of wood pulps with large fibers and irregular pores. Even though they are more affordable, they are not the best choice you can make. Often smaller impurities pass through the pores in these media.
- Synthetic ones, on the other hand, are man-made glass fibers that function better. They are competent enough to trap the smallest dirt particles while filtering the oil through. They even last longer than the cellulose ones.
- Next, we come to capture efficiency of a filter. This is mostly determined by beta ratios and micron ratings. An absolute rating indicates a high-efficiency percentage. And keep in mind that, there is no guarantee that a filter with a bigger media will serve better either.
Benefits Of Using A Top Quality Oil Filter
- Oil is essential to the car engine on multiple levels, other than the obvious of course. Oil is supposed to lubricate the internal components. It cools down the engine through a heat transfer and seals the piston ring. Further, it absorbs the contaminants and the wear particles and even the soot from combustion. These contaminants are either suspended or react with the addictives, which constitutes a quarter of the motor oil.
- But what if the oil you are pouring in is itself contaminated? That’s when the oil filter comes in. The first oil filter was developed in 1923. Oil filters have always been an important component, though. In the earlier times, a mesh or steel wool or wire meshes were used for filtering out the dirt.
- The oil you pump into the oil pump first passes through the filter before it is distributed within the different components of the engine. The oil is passed through the filter under some pressure. The contaminated oil is filtered by the filter media. Then the clean oil is passed through the central tube into the engine. This passage is through the hollowed center mounting stud of the filter.
- Even though with some care, you can prolong the use of your car’s current oil filter, it remains one of the items that are more frequently replaced during maintenance. Even if you never change your engine oil, it does get contaminated over time. You can simply use an oil filter to avert these problems. In fact, you can’t really work without one, because it is an essential spare part in your car. You just need to make periodic checks whether your car’s filter is in proper working condition or not. That said, it is advisable to change your motor oil regularly.
What is the purpose of oil filters?
The oil filters help to purify the oil from particles and don’t let them pass with the oil. Thus, it protects the oil from unwanted particles and stays fresh in the engine.
Why is it required to change the oil filter?
By the time oil gets a lot of contaminants and becomes thinner. The main job of the oil filter is to clean the oil from dirt and impurities. Thus, changing the filter lets the oil in the engine stays clear and free from contaminants.
Do the filter last forever?
All the filters eventually get clogged no matter what liquid it handles. It then reduces its capabilities as all things in the world come to an end. Some car systems still allow the oil to pass but this oil is not filtered then.
How often is it needed to replace my filter?
Mostly the filter needs to be changed with a change in the oil of the engine. However, it is recommended to refer the instructions as some filters are more durable than others. Also, sometimes it might lead to clogging while driving in different conditions.
Do road conditions have an effect on the life and performance of the oil filter?
Definitely, the dirt on the road affects the oil filters by getting into the engine. Any type of debris that lands oil filters find its way to the engine. Thus, it is required to replace the engine whenever you change the oil.
The Final Note
That completes my list of the best oil filters. It is generally recommended that you change your car’s oil filter every time you change the oil. This is because the fresh oil you pour in will be rendered useful after passing though the gunk accumulated from the previously used impure oil.
That said, no one can determine the perfect for your car better than you, or your mechanic. LED headlights, HID Headlights are an integral part of any automobile that enhances visibility. It should be suited to your car, first and foremost. You can easily figure it out with a bit of research, though.