Are you looking for best portable generator? A generator is a machine that converts one form of energy into another. Mechanical energy is the most common form of energy that is converted to electrical energy by a generator. A generator is used to supply power when there is no electricity. Generators usually run on diesel or gas.
Table of Contents
- 1 Bestselling Portable Generator On The Market
- 2 Top Rated Portable Generator Reviews
- 3 Features To Consider In A Good Portable Generator
Bestselling Portable Generator On The Market
Top Rated Portable Generator Reviews
The Westinghouse Portable Gas-Powered Generator uses an electric spark to trigger the mechanisms involved. It has great quality features for a reasonable price. Boasting mechanical components that are made for efficiency and performance optimization, this portable generator ensures safety and reliability for every operator. Westinghouse Electric Corporation is surely a force to be reckoned with in the portable generator industry.
Supplies 7,500 Watts on average and 9,000 Watts on start-up.
Its Fuel tank can store up to 6.6 Gallons.
At 25% of the workload, it can run up to 11 hours.
Featuring an L14 – 30 R 120 over 240 VAC Lock Twist Power Outlet which is compatible with Westinghouse’s Transfer Switch and 120 VAC Power outlet (4x).
Automatic Electric Start at a push of a button.
The battery is included with the product.
Allows for Manual Starting by a Recoil Mechanism.
With a solid handling wheel and kit, moving the portable generator around would be easy.
Uses compression and ignition that is transistorized for easy start-up.
Quality work for zero downtimes of operation is ensured, the equipment uses brush excitation, regulation of voltage, and an alternator for maximum work efficiency.
Robust steel body with iron casted fan guard.
Features a 420 CC Westinghouse 4 Stroke Overhead Valve Engine.
Easy operation, the package includes all required equipment to start right away after opening the box.
Supported by a Limited Warranty for 3 years and complete customer service/support.
- This generator certainly brings the expected amount of voltage to power your house. It could power up plenty of appliances at once, just be sure to be cautious with the appliance’s energy consumption though, and do not let this generator ran out of fuel, it will run uncontrollably (well, most generators do, just do not starve any generator) and with robust and innately firm body, durability is not an issue.
- Also, being a portable generator, most of its features are made for moving the generator around, and those features are incredibly useful for all those people who have this best portable generator.
- The noise made by this unique whole house generator is also surprisingly low, with most lawnmowers being much noisier than this gentle beast.
- Heavy, weighing a bit over 201 pounds. Not easy to store or transport.
- At 64 decibels, this unit may not be quiet enough for camping trips and simple outdoor tranquility time.
DuroStar model DS4000s, a portable gas-powered generator manufactured by a company that has a good reputation for quality and durability, is one of the finest portable generators out there in the market. Featuring a 7.0 hp air-cooled OHV engine that uses a recoiling start, it could supply 3,300 watts up to 4,000 watts to your appliances. Great for outdoor activities that requires an energy supply.
Minimal shutoff of oil and an air-cooled overhead valve engine. Having an OHV engine ensures low maintenance requirements and smaller body; great for its portability.
Robust steel body with four (4) motor mounts to ensure smooth and quiet operations even when having large workloads.
Features a complete power side panel with various switches such as for shutting off the engine, and meters, circuit breakers, and power outlet sockets.
It could run up to 8 hours (at 50% load) using 4 gallons of fuel stored in a steel-cased fuel tank with a reliable easy to read gauge.
Improved muffler ensures that the engine will produce more quietly.
Running at 7.0 Horsepower, it could supply 3.3k watts up to 4k watts to different appliances simultaneously.
Supported by a 1-year limited warranty.
Package includes a wheeling handle kit for increased portability (it is optional to use it, however).
The power panel has two 120 volts, 20 amp, three-prong power outlets (model NEM Association 5 20R) for supplying energy and an extra 120 voltage, 30 amps power outlet (model NEM Association L5 30) for tools that require much more extra power.
- Having a solid constructed steel body, and a minimal oil shutoff, durability is ensured while giving reliable protection against accidental fires and burns.
- It is fairly inexpensive for its many useful features, a great deal for many people interested with this silent nimble beast.
- With its easy to start mechanism, this portable generator would find anxious operators happy with the reliably fast start up time. Also, being a manually operated generator on start up, it has almost no technical errors unless it is poorly maintained by the owner.
- This generator however, cannot power up many heavy energy consuming appliances, it is not a problem for an average household use however.
Champion’s Portable Generator is compatible with a Recreational Vehicle. Being cost efficient and having a wireless remote start, it is a good choice for supplying energy in various emergency situations as that can be used for a Recreational Vehicle power supply. It can produce 4000 watts upon start up and 3500 watts when in normal running capacity.
With a 30 Amps Recreational Vehicle power outlet, it can produce enough energy to run a 15k British Termal Unit air conditioner for an RV.
4 Stroke Overhead Valve type engine could produce 3.5k watts on average and 4k watts on startup.
Reliability in cold weather is not an issue as it uses Cold Startup technology that is well optimized for cold weathers.
Features a 196 cubic centimetres Champion Engine.
Power panel outlet includes: 120 volts 30 amps locking, 120 volt 30 amps Recreational vehicle outlet and a 120 volt 20 amp household power outlets with Volt Guarding protection feature for protection against a power surge.
Champion supports a two-year limited warranty along with FREE technical support for a lifetime.
Remote is provided for the remote starting of the portable generator.
An automatic shutoff system when the oil is low.
A spark arrestor device is included that is approved by the United States Department of Agriculture.
Easy to read reliable “intelligence”.
Features a sturdy steel body frame.
- This generator is extremely versatile, able to adapt to varying conditions as well as in emergencies. It is also a great tool for camping, allowing for a more comfortable camping experience. Basically this is the finest small generator for campers.
- Many owners are also sure to be spoiled in using the remote control, a remote control for a portable generator is quite rare to find.
- Champion’s quality checks are also on point because it assures customers that their bought products are in pristine condition and the equipment should not have any glitches. Many operators also liked the ease of use of this portable generator, ready to start right out of the box.
- Draining the gasoline would be quite a challenge though; however it is not a major problem as it only takes a few more minutes to drain than other generators.
A portable generator from Yamaha, the EF2000iS version 2 gas powered inverter portable generator does not only uses gas to power different kinds of appliances but it also has the ability to convert a DC power to an AC power. It uses new technology created by Yamaha to have silent running and to prevent overheating.
- California Air Resources Board (CARB) Compliant
Can provide an average of 1600 watts Alternating current output and 2000 watts on maximum.
With an efficient silencing muffler to silence the equipment.
Equipped with a Spark Arrestor that is approved by the United States Forest Service.
Intelligent Throttle adjusts the speed of the engine depending on workloads. This helps in improving fuel efficiency and noise reduction.
PWM controlled Inverter systems.
Engines made by Yamaha have the highest emission engine durability ratings issued by the EPA and the CARB.
Very compact and light frame that weighs around 44 pounds allows for easy transport.
It has the ability to connect with other older model generators to power more devices through a parallel function.
Gasoline petcock helps prevent gasoline related problems such as stale gas.
It can efficiently deliver maximum output power with minimal effort.
Automatically decompresses upon start to ensure efficiency and reliability.
Boasts compatible handles for easier transport and storage.
Fitted with an automatic electrical overload braker. It prevents generator damage caused by an electrical overload.
Its feet are also made of rubber, allowing for noise absorption and even smoother operation.
- Having advanced programming software allows the Yamaha portable generator to be compatible with plenty of appliances and devices. The Yamaha portable generator is also one of the few quiet 2000 watts generators.
- This portable generator by Yamaha is also CARB compliant, and can be used for and extended time in the state of California. Its air index is only three (3) so it is clean compared to other gas powered generators out there.
- This generator however, may consume oil faster than other portable generators if used quite often, like for example: everyday. It is not a big deal however, if it is only used for emergencies or thrice a week.
Types Of The Generator
A stationary generator is also called a standby generator. It is a back-up electrical system that supplies power to the electrical circuits within seconds of a power outage. The auto sensor takes care of sensing the power outage transferring the electrical load to the generator and vice versa. Most of these generators use diesel, natural gas or liquid propane gas.
As the name suggests, portable generators are generators that can be easily carried from one place to another. They are gas or diesel powered devices that use a combustion engine to provide power to the electrical circuits in case of a power outage.
Features To Consider In A Good Portable Generator
As the name suggests, an automatic start generator senses a power cut and starts supplying power to the electric circuit automatically when there is an electric outage. There is no need for human intervention and it is a blessing in disguise for ensuring consistent power supply remotely. However, this option will only work if regular maintenance activity is carried out to ensure smooth working of the generator.
Electric start generators run on batteries and it is very important to keep the batteries charged to ensure that the generator is able to start and supply electricity to the electric circuit when there is a power outage. Electric start is much easier and convenient as compared to pulling the cord to start the generator.
Alternative Fuel Capacity
Choosing a generator with an alternative fuel capacity can prove useful if there is unavailability of one type of fuel. It is necessary to choose a generator that uses easily available types of fuel. The renewable energy generators are very popular nowadays.
One great feature is having a generator on wheels. This makes it convenient to move the generator around with ease. This is very important if there are ladies who would be operating the generator in absence of their male counterparts in the house.
Fuel gauge is important as it indicates the quantity of fuel that is available for use in the generator. This ensures that fuel is topped up as soon as or before it reaches the minimum level.
The low-oil shutoff feature is a very important feature that shuts down the generator when the level of oil reaches a minimum level. This prevents the generator from getting damaged due to less oil.
The inverter technology is a relatively recent development used in generators. This has been made possible with the use of electromagnetic technology that combines advanced electronic circuits and high tech magnets. These generators are referred to as Inverter Generators and they provide the qualities of an inverter in addition to those of a generator.
It is a wise decision to choose a portable generator with multiple outlets in order to be able to attach multiple devices and keep them running smoothly in case of power outage.
A removable console is helpful as appliances can be directly plugged into the portable generator by eliminating the use of the extension cords that can be potentially dangerous.
Why Buy A Portable Generator?
What is the best portable generator? A portable generator is a very useful device that works as an excellent back up in times of an electric outage. It helps appliances function smoothly even when there is no electricity. Apart from that, it is particularly helpful in preserving cold storage items, dairy products and any other products that degenerate if exposed to heat.
Best Quality Portable Generators: What to Look For
Portable generators are generators that can be easily carried from one place to another. They can be used in homes, offices, clinics, hospitals and any place where there are frequent power outages and a back up is necessary to continue uninterrupted electric supply to run the appliances.
Power & Fuel Performance
It is necessary to select a portable generator which provides optimum power with minimum fuel consumption. This will help keep fuel expenses under control while providing uninterrupted power supply in case of a power outage.
It is important to select a portable generator which offers additional safety features to ensure that there are no hazards and dangers while using it. Apart from that, a portable generator should not be operated indoors and it is necessary to determine the correct wattage and only run the appliances advised in the wattage guide. It is also advisable to do a trial run of the generator to be able to operate it correctly at the time of a power outage. Keeping the generator in a convenient location, keeping the batteries fully charged for generators with an electric start feature, running the generator at periodic intervals to lubricate the engine, maintaining an adequate supply of fresh gasoline and extension cords, not overloading the circuits and cooling the generator after use is also important to prevent any damage to the generator.
Control Panel Features
While selecting a generator it is wise to choose one that has a user friendly control panel. Features like a fuel gauge and provision of convenient and easy operation are useful.
Help & Support
It is advisable to choose a service provider known for good after sales service to provide the required help and support when required.
Portability & Ease of Use
The portability feature allows the generator to be moved from one place to another easily. It is convenient to use this generator anywhere whether in a home, office, clinic, hospital or any other place where it is required.
A Portability Generator which has all the above mentioned features is a very good investment that is useful at times of power outage in day-to-day life, long duration blackouts or while going for outdoor events, picnics and organizing camps. With frequent power outages in recent times, This best portable generator must have in every home, office and any place where uninterrupted power is a necessity.